Silver jewelry trends have taken a rise in demand and especially the Sterling silver is the most popular. It is used widely to make jewelry and is prominent owing to its durability, affordability and appearance. Sterling is a mixture of metals, a typical alloy containing silver of 92.5% in weight, while the remaining weight of 7.5% includes other metals, mainly copper to give strength. The fact stays that though it is prominent, the jewelry is not equally created and so buyers of sterling silver should consider looking for online and in-store before setting on silver jewelry items. These depend on three factors:
Determining Quality and Authenticity
As the first point, look for the hallmark. In the U.S. silver is mostly marked featuring 925,.925, or 92.5, a small engraving. This is a way of knowing it is genuine sterling silver. The other countries follow different standards. Thus paying attention is a must for any jewelry.
Another important part is to look for a word “plated.” In case, it says ‘silver-plated’ it means it is coated in silver to get the appearance and is not sterling. In fact, it is a piece made of copper, nickel and other metals. The coating of silver will wear away.
To check the quality construction of the silver jewelry, do inspect the pieces. Test the clasps to know if they are secure and easy to open. Also place the chains flat to check for bends or kinks and ensure the earrings are not bent and appear straight.
Sterling silver jewelry that is new should appear shiny and must not show any tarnish signs. Tarnish does not refer to poor quality, but it means a little cleaning is required.
Buying Jewelry Online
Sterling jewelry can be bought online, but it is a must to research websites. You will find genuine online retailers offering a good selection of silver jewelry. At the same time many department stores and brick-and-mortar jewelry offer for sale their products online.
Shopping for a ring implies you must know the ring size before buying. Online you can find information about item measurements and details. There may be photos also to see from different angles.
Go through the return policy. Authentic sites list with the product details the return policy or it will appear in a separate page. Ensure there is way to return the piece, if it is damaged while receiving or you dislike it.
Buying Sterling Silver in-store
Research local stores selling silver jewelry and find a dedicated jewelry store. Seek recommendations from family or friends before buying sterling silver jewelry. It helps to get localized recommended websites
Visit and inspect the jewelry pieces. Look for the hallmark, test the backings and clasps. Use a magnifying glass to inspect more carefully.
Ask for details about the jewelry piece and get details about the composition of the jewelry piece. Ask for return policy and get one in writing.